Tourist Visas (Subclass 600)
Tourist visas (subclass 600) are temporary visas that let applicants travel to Australia for tourism, business, or visiting friends and family for 3, 6, or 12 months.
This visa category includes four streams:
This stream is for those who want to vacation or visit family and friends in Australia. If you apply for this stream visa while you are in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply while outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.
Business Visitor Stream
This stream is for those who want to visit Australia for business. This includes attending a conference, negotiating or signing business contracts, or conducting business enquiries. You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and also when the visa is granted.
Sponsored Family Stream
This stream is for those who want to visit their family in Australia and have a sponsor. The sponsor may be required to provide a bond. You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and also when the visa is granted. You cannot apply for any other visa while you are in Australia on this visa.
Approved Destination Status Stream
This stream is for people from the People’s Republic of China who are travelling in an approved tour group. You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and also when the visa is granted.
• Holders of a subclass 600 visitor visa are not allowed to work in Australia.
• Visitor visas can be granted for single or multiple entries into Australia, with a stay period of up to three, six, or twelve months on each entry.
• Applicants can specify the number of entries and length of stay they are seeking in their application, but the visa officer will make a decision based on the individual circumstances of the applicant.
• In most cases, a visitor visa for 3 months is sufficient for most visitors to Australia. If a longer stay is required, specific criteria must be met. For example, if the applicant is the parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and has submitted a migration application that has not yet been approved.
• Visitor visas are designed for short-term visits to Australia and cannot be used to stay in Australia for longer than 12 months. They also cannot be used to facilitate long-term residency in Australia.
• Visa application fees vary depending on the visa category.