Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)


Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

It is common for young people in Australia and other Western countries to spend a year after they finish school travelling abroad while working in order to support themselves before they begin their careers. This is known as a working holiday.

Under the 2015 China-Australia Free Trade Agreement, Australia granted 5,000 working holiday visas to Chinese citizens in the 2015 - 2016 fiscal year. This visa is available to applicants aged between 18 and 31 and can only be applied for once.

Subclass 462 Summary
This visa lets people between the ages of 18 and 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.


With this visa, you can

· stay in Australia for up to 12 months

· leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like in that 12 months

· do short-term work in Australia to help pay for your holiday

· study for up to 4 months

· do 3 months of specified subclass 462 work to become eligible for a second Work and Holiday visa


Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for this visa you must:

· have a valid Chinese passport (or a passport from an eligible country)

· be at least 18 years old when the application is submitted but not yet 35 years old (effective from July 1, 2017, according to the new policy of the 2017/2018 fiscal year)

· apply from outside Australia

· not be accompanied by dependent children (spouses can accompany, but must apply for a visa separately)

· not have previously entered Australia on a subclass 462 or 417 visa (if you previously entered Australia on a subclass 462 visa, see the second Work and Holiday visa)

· have sufficient funds to support yourself while working and holidaying in Australia (at least AUD$5000)

· meet the education requirements, which require Chinese applicants to have a higher education qualification or to have completed at least two years of university education

· have basic proficiency in English (equivalent to an IELTS score of 4.5 or above)

· meet the character and health requirements 

Note: The 462 working holiday visa must be booked in advance. When the booking has been processed, the applicant must personally visit the Australian visa application centre on the designated date and time to submit their application. Before making an appointment, please prepare all documents according to the check-list, including completing the visa application form (see website for further information: ).

If applicants are from the same family or team, each member must make a separate appointment.


English Proficiency Requirements

 Applicants should have at least a basic proficiency in English and must meet at least one of the following requirements.

The designated English test system or corresponding English proficiency requirements are outlined below.

In order to meet the requirements for English proficiency, applicants must have:

  1. An average score of above 4.5 across the four IELTS test subjects (speaking, reading, listening, and writing). Applicants must take the test and pass it within 12 months before submitting visa application. Note: Academic (A) and Training (G) classes are both acceptable.

  2. A total score of above 32 on the TOEFL iBT test. Applicants must take the test and pass it within 12 months prior to submitting visa application.

  3. A total score of at least 30 for the four components of the PTE Academic English test (speaking, reading, listening, and writing). Applicants must take the test and pass it within 12 months prior to submitting visa application.

  4. A total score of at least 147 for the four components of the Cambridge English test (speaking, reading, listening, and writing). Applicants must take the test and pass it within 12 months prior to submitting visa application.

  5. Completed primary school and at least three years of secondary school where English is the primary teaching language.

  6. Attended a secondary school for at least 5 years where English is the primary teaching language.

  7. Completed at least two years of full-time university studies in an institution where English is the primary teaching language.

  8. Completed at least one year of full-time university studies at an Australian institution where English is the primary teaching language.



Calculate your visa fee here:

Note: The above fees will charge a certain handling fee for credit card payments.

*Please pay CNY¥50 for express delivery if:

  1. You need an original receipt (invoice),

  2. You did not provide an email address to receive the visa processing results,

  3. You need to return original materials (originals do not include material such as bank deposit certificates and notarised documents).